Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Reader Request: Registering a Foreign Marriage in Peru

Congrats on your marriage! I get a lot of emails asking me how to register a foreign marriage in Peru when one of the spouses is Peruvian. This information was originally posted here and I've re-posted it below.

Image source
You will have to register your marriage in the country where you got married (probably at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) and then go to the Peruvian consulate or embassy and register it with them. Do this as quickly as possible because there may be a time limit. If possible, get a couple marriage certificates. You will need a new marriage certificate every year in order to renew residency.
After you register it at the consulate or embassy, they will then give you a Peruvian marriage certificate.

Ask them if your marriage will be registered with RENIEC. If it will not be registered with RENIEC, then you will also have to do that when you get here. When you come to Peru, you have between 30 and 90 days to register your marriage depending on the person you talk to.



Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and may take a couple days to appear online. Please only click the submit button once. You can also email me at naturegirl321@yahoo.com if you'd like.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy