Wednesday, 5 November 2008

How to Get Peruvian Citizenship

Updated 10 May 2014

 ***Be sure you ask at immigrations about your visa as rules and fees seem to change often. You now need an appointment in order to go to immigration. Make the "derecho de tramite" payment in order to schedule your appointment right away.***

One tip to remember is that speaking Spanish will help you greatly. You'll be treated differently than if you speak English all the time, it'll help you assimilate to Peru, and it'll make talking to the government workers easier. If you're looking to learn Spanish, check out Fluenz Spanish, Rosetta Stone, and Synergy Spanish.     

If you're looking for information about renouncing (giving up) Peruvian citizenship, you can find that information here.

Immigrant Visa
If you've been in Peru for two years, but do not want to get citizenship, you can get an immigrant visa (inmigrante). This is long-term residency visa, so you don't have to renew your residency every year. However, you still have to pay the foreigner's tax. I'm not sure if you can get an inmigrante visa if you have a retirement visa; ask at immigrations.

General Requirements for Naturalisation
Please see the sections below about the 3 different ways to get citizenship. 

  • Have 2 continuous years with a CE (Waived if at least one of your parents are Peruvian)
  • Have paid the foreigner tax (or exoneration if you're married to a Peruvian)
  • Have a valid CE
  • Pass exams in Spanish, history and culture of Peru
  • Verification of no criminal activity and residence (and marriage if applicable)
  • Provide all the necessary documentation
  • Have an interview
  • Give back your CE
Plan on it taking about six months to a year to get citizenship. This includes getting the documents, taking the exams, having someone verify your place of residence (and marriage, if applicable), receiving citizenship, getting your DNI, and passport.

Time and CE: The required time for naturalisation is two years after getting your CE. You will have to give back your CE once you get your naturalisation document and you may have to change your name. If you haven't paid the foreigner tax or the exoneration, do so. Your CE will have to be up-to-date. For those with Peruvian parents, there is no time requirement, however you must first have a CE. Here's the general foreigner information and the information for immigrant visas and naturalisation.

Exams: When I got citizenship, you didn't need to do the exams or have anyone verify your marriage was legit. Peru's tightening up its requirements. You will also have to pass tests in the Spanish language, history and culture of Peru, even if you're married to a Peruvian. I've been told that it's pretty difficult and it's been getting harder. You need 12 out of 20 points to pass.

Some things you should know are the national anthem, the rivers, the president of Peru, the president of Congress, the prime minister, Inca rulers, Peruvian authors, etc. Here's some info about questions on the exams and notes about what to study. The good news is that it just requires rote memorisation, not thinking. They usually mark the exams on the same day, but they say the standard wait for them to notify you is 15 days.

Provide all the Necessary Documentation: Yea for forms! Make sure you get everything you need.

Verification of No Criminal Activity and Residence (and Marriage): You'll have to swear that you have not committed any crimes as well as get docs from INERPOL. You'll also have to swear that you reside at your residence. You may have a government official visit your home.

Interview: They'll interview you about becoming a Peruvian citizen. You will have to speak Spanish.

Give Back Your CE: When you become Peruvian you will have to give back your CE. You'll then get a DNI.

Dual Nationality
Dual (multi) citizenship isn't recognised by all countries. It is, however, recognised by Peru. The US government and the Australian government have lists of which countries allow dual citizenship. According to the US, Peru doesn't allow dual citizenship, however, there are lots of loopholes. As you can see on the Australian link. It says that dual citizenship is allowed in some form in Peru. Dual citizenship IS allowed. Peru does, begrudgingly, recognise it, so there's no need to worry. I'm an American and got Peruvian citizenship due to marriage. I'm now a dual citizen.

In order for you to get dual citizenship your country of origin will also have to recognise dual citizenship. You will have to check with your home country though. For example, if you're German and want to get Peruvian citizenship, you have to give up your German citizenship. Exceptions to this are children born to parents with different citizenships. Check with your home country's embassy for more information.

Other places, like the US, do acknowledge and allow dual citizenship (yes, the US does and has allowed dual citizenship for about 50 years. They simply don't encourage it and you ALWAYS must enter and exit the US on your US passport.) I went to the US Embassy and signed a document that I made saying that I didn't want to give up US citizenship. They told me that it really wasn't necessary because it's very difficult and there's lots of paperwork to give up US citizenship (except for extreme cases, like terrorism). For more info about US law check RickW and the State Department's Website.

Possible (Required) Name Change
Be aware that you will most likely have your name changed if you get citizenship. If you only have one last name, you will be forced to take two (your father's last name and your mother's).  

NB: Some people have been forced to change their names, others haven't. It seems that MEN are not asked to add their mother's last name, but WOMEN are. In fact, some men have asked to add their mother's last name and have been refused.

I was forced to add my mother's last name and told I had to add in order to become Peruvian. I spent a couple hours talking with the workers and administration, they refused to change their minds. Yet men don't have to change their names. Go figure, this is one of the many reasons why I left Peru. You can see more on this discussion at Expat Peru.

This means that you will have to change your bank account, pension, and any property, such as a house, apartment or car to your new name. If you are married, you can also add the "de" and your husband's last name, though this is optional. (You would have three last names: your father's, mother's, "de" and your husband's.) This is done at RENIEC, when you get your naturalisation cert, it will just have two last names (your father's last name and your mother's).

For the bank accounts, you just go to the bank with your bank card and DNI. Same goes for your pension plan. For the propery you'll have to go to SUNARP and bring a letter explaining the change as well as notarised copies of your DNI, CE, Naturalisation paper. You'll also have to fill out a form. If you're married you'll need your original partida de matrimonio (marriage license) and a notarised copy of your spouse's DNI.

Changing your Documents after Naturalisation
You will have to change important documents, such as your bank accounts, property title, car title, driving license, pension plan, last will and testimony, etc. In order to do this you usually need two documents: a notarised copy of your CE and your original DNI. The last step of naturalisation is handing over your CE. BEFORE you do this, be sure to make a couple notarised copies.

3 different Ways to get Peruvian Citizenship
  1. Naturalisation for those NOT married to a Peruvian
  2. Naturalisation for those married to a Peruvian
  3. Naturalisation for those with Peruvian parent(s)

1. Naturalisation for those NOT married to a Peruvian
You will have to take the culture, history, and language test and get the President's signature (which can take from 3-6 months) as well as fulfill the general requirements. Expat Peru has a guide about how to do this. Here's the general foreigner information and the information for immigrant visas and naturalisation.

2. Naturalisation due to marriage
For those married to Peruvians, it's a bit easier. But you'll still have to jump through a lot of hoops. Here's the general foreigner information and the information for immigrant visas and naturalisation.
  • 4 passport size photos.
  • Your original and a notarised copy of your carne de extranjeria that shows two years residency (with foreigner's tax paid, and residency up to date)
  • An original copy of your spouse's birth certificate. (They're only valid for 30 days)
  • A simple copy of your spouse's DNI showing casada status.
  • A letter (solicitud) to the Director of Immigration asking for your application to be considered. You can find one at Migraciones in the immigrant visas and naturalisation section or in letters to immigration.
  • A statutory declaration that you are healthy and have no criminal convictions. You can find one at Migraciones in the immigrant visas and naturalisation section or in letters to immigration.
  • Form F006.
  • Pay the fee for Form F006 and the registration fee at the Banco de la Nacion.
  • A recent copy (no older than 30 days) of your original Peruvian marriage certificate showing 2 years of marriage. If you got married abroad, you'll have to have registered (see getting your CE for how to register your marriage)your marriage previously with RENIEC and show your Peruvian marriage certificate.]
  • A ficha de canje international from INTERPOL. 
  • A sworn statement stating your address and that you haven't committed any crimes. There's a sample in letters to immigration.
  • Written history, culture, and language test.
  • Personal interview.
NOTE: I would imagine that there are exceptions to the 2 years of marriage. For example, if you had another CE for a year, then got married and were on a marriage visa for a year, then you would have two years of residence in Peru, but only one year of marriage. If you have had a valid CE for two years, but have been married for less, check with immigrations.

Steps for Naturalisation due to Marriage
You can also see the section at Migraciones about immigrant visas and naturalisation.
  1. Make copies of everything so that they can stamp your copies. Leave the orginals at the Mesa de Partes at Immigrations. Don't leave the registration fee. They will tell you when to come back, it's usually three to five days. Bring the registration fee with you when you come back.
  2. Then you will have to go to the naturalisation office on the 3rd floor, they will check your documents. It opens at 8:00 am and closes at 1pm. You will give them your registration fee.
  3. You will then have to come back again, usually between 5 and 15 days. They will then make you sign papers and fingerprint you. You should also get either certified copies or notarised copies of your carne (CE). You'll need it to change your data on things such as your car, house, bank accounts, etc.
  4. To get notarised ones, simply go to a notary. For certified copies of your carne, you need to fill out form F002, pay the fee at the Banco de la Nacion and make 5 copies. You leave these at the Mesa de Partes and can pick them up in two days. (This MUST be done before you pick up your naturalisation document. In order to get your naturalisation document you have to give them back your CE. And in order to pick up the certified copies of your CE, you need your CE.)
  5. You will set up an appointment so that a police officer will visit you at home in order to make sure you live where you say.
  6. You will set up another appointment so that you and your spouse will have to be interviewed by the director.
  7. You'll have to wait a couple weeks.
  8. You'll have to pay a fee of 35 soles. They will give you your naturalisation document (titulo de registro) and tell you how to get certified copies of your naturalisation document, which you need to get your DNI. The register has two parts: one part stays in the register and the other part is given to you as your titulo of citizenship. When you sign the register you will have to give them your CE (so make sure you get notarised or certified copies of it BEFORE you sign the register.)
The steps to get your DNI can be found at RENIEC. One thing to remember, at RENIEC they will probably tell you that you need two witnesses in order for you to get your DNI (because you're over 18). This is WRONG. Because you were naturalised and not born Peruvian, you do NOT need witnesses. Show them your titulo and there will be two signatures there. Those take the place of the witnesses. If they still give you trouble, ask to talk to a supervisor and make a scene.

3. Naturalisation for adult (18+) children of Peruvians
NB: This was told to me by a person who went through the process back in 2008. I'm not sure if it's still possible or not.

For those with Peruvian parents, there is no time requirement to getting citizenship. (However, in order to get citizenship, first you must have a CE (carne de extranjeria), which means that you legally reside in Peru. If you don't have a CE, follow the steps below. Since your parents are Peruvian, you don't have to wait two years, you can do it right after you get your CE.) Below is one way to get citizenship. Other ways, including those for minors, can be found in immigrant visas and naturalisation.
  • Form F006.
  • Pay the fee for form F006 and the naturalisation fee at the Banco de la Nacion
  • Solicitud (number 8 in letters to immigration)
  • Your birth cert, legalised by the Peruvian Consulate/Embassy, translated by an official translator, then legalised by RREE.
  • Copy of your passport
  • Declaration saying that you are healthy and have no criminal record (numbers 5 and 6 in letters to immigration)
  • CE with foreigner's tax paid, and residency up to date
  • DNI of your Peruvian parent
  • 4 passport sized photos

CE for Children of Peruvians Over the Age of 18
All payments should be made at the Banco de la Nacion. (This is just one way to get a CE, there are others, see general foreigner information and the information for immigrant visas and naturalisation for other ways.) 
  1. Pay the fee for permission to sign contracts. (Letters to immigrations can be found in letters to immigration.)
  2. Get hired by a company or you talk to one of your friends who has company with a registered RUC, and sign the contract.
  3. Pay the fee to register your contract (ingresar contratos) take it to the Ministerio del Trabajo on Av. El Aire in San Borja, present your birth certificate, your Peruvian parents birth certificate or DNI to prove that you are related to a Peruvian, and the contract signed, they review it and give you the necessary stamp.
  4. Once this is done go to Immigrations and show this to the immigration officer. (He will ask you how you got the contract approved. Show him the proof, you are the son or daughter of a Peruvian. You have to return in 10 days to see whether the visa is ready for pick up. While waiting, do the INTERPOL check about this time so it can be ready once you are a resident.
  5. Follow the steps for getting your carne.
  6. Once you get the carne de extranjeria gather all the docs for the naturalisation process and apply.
People Who Have Received Peruvian Citizenship
Some people from Expat Peru have gotten citizenship. Try contacting them if you have questions. They might be able to help you out.

  • paddington82: American, received unknown
  • sarahdavida: American, received unknown
  • naturegirl: American, January 2009
  • american_in_lima: American, October 2009
  • RobB: American, 2009
  • aqpgeo: American, January 2010
  • wisconsin traveler: American, April 2010
  • Remigius: Dutch, September 2010
  • Alan: Canadian, October 2010
  • markr: British, December 2010
  • DC_20833: December 2010
  • fanning: Dutch, January 2011
  • gerard: British, February 2011
  • Yuyis: Dutch, May 2011

People Who Are Planning on Getting Citizenship
  • MartitaAQP
  • stuart
  • Chiclayo Gringo: American
  • cuymagico: unknown
  • Kelly: American
  • LauraMH: American

The Ultimate Peru List recommends:


  1. So Sharon , how long does it take to acquire citizenship,from the day of application?

  2. More or less about 20 to 35 working days. I applied in early December and my naturalisation cert was ready on the 6th of January. Once you get that, then you can get yoru DNI, takes about a week, and passport, 1 or 2 days. Took me less time to get citizenship than it did to become a resident due to marriage.

  3. Hi Sharon, nice site! I was born of American parents in Lima in 1947. I have my original birth certificates. Where would I start to get dual citizenship?

  4. It's pretty simple. GO to the municipality where you were born.
    get your birth cert.
    Take that to RENIEC, with a utilites receipt. YOu'll have to pay at RENIEC, a small fee, maybe 30 soles. You'll need to get TWO witnesses to go with you since you're over 21. They have to sign and say that they know you. You could always pay people, this is Peru.

    YOu'll fill out forms and get your DNI in about ten days. HOpe this helps, if you have more questions, let me know.

  5. Hello,

    Is it necessary for foreigners to know spanish in naturalisation due to marriage?

    Thanks a lot for your help.

  6. I see. Is it necessary to live 2 or 3 years in Peru?

  7. It's two years from the beginning of your CE. So if you get your CE on 15 Jan 2010, then you can apply for citizeship on 15 Jan 2012

  8. I have been in Peru for one year. I started a social program I also teach English unofficially for an income. The visa process looks so complicated and there is very little chance of an institute sponsoring a teacher. Do you know of any volunteer type of visa? I teach at an orphanage so would be able to obtain any letters/documentation from them.

  9. Sorry, there are no volunteer visas per se. There are religious visas. I think that your options are:
    Getting a work visa
    Getting an investment visa (invest$25K)
    Marrying a Peruvian

    barring that, many people have happily border hopped for years and have had no problems.

    Your website looks great. I've added it to the volunteer section here at the UPL.

  10. Wow, you really keep track of us all in the process-- impressive! Good to know who all is going through it. As far as I know, the US still considers me a citizen, btw ;)


  11. Oh, btw, the confusing "physically present rule" has been discarded, as far as I've heard. The law says "Legal resident" and physical location is irrelevant (as long as residency requirements, which include 6 mths physical presence, are fulfilled)

  12. I went to the US embassy and signed a document just in case. You really can't take anyone's word anymore in this day and age.

    About the physical present test, I'll believe it when I see it :) If you have a link, let me know so I can change the info, otherwise, it's just hearsay and I can't publish it.

  13. About the physical present test, I'm not sure WHERE the information that it existed came from, but it has not been the law for at least the two years that I have investigated and communciated with migraciones in Peru. Check out the DIGEMEN website and it is very clear that the requirement (married or otherwise)is two consecutive years of legal residency. In fact, when you solicit citizenship NOT via marriage, the letter to the president has a format that includes mentioning each entry and exit of the country during your two years of residency. That would not exist if you were not allowed to leave! Furthermore, most of those you list as having obtained citizenship left the country during their 2 years of residency.

    The hearsay is the rule about the physical presence and it may be rooted in a past law or simple myth.


  14. Got it straight from DIGEMEN's. As you say, laws in Peru change all the time. That's why you should go and ask.

    In addition, you live in Peru and know how things are. Things change at the whim of the immigration officer. All I know is that some men I know have been asked about the PPT. Just like some women, like myself, have been forced to change their names against their will.

    Here's the part about physical presence: IF you're out of Peru for 6 months in a year, you lose your ARC.

    Also, I never stated you couldn't leave. You simply can't go over the time you're allowed out or you'll lose your ARC.

  15. I am planning on applying this month now that i have finished the residency requirement. i was wondering how long the process takes if you apply NOT by marriage?? and what are all the steps as of june 2011

  16. The only extra thing you have to do is take the culture, history, and language test. However, if you apply without being married to a Peruvian, it takes a bit longer.

    You have to get the President's signature and that can take from 3-6 months. So the whole process takes about a year or more, which is much longer for those married to Peruvians.

    There's more info on the DIGEMIN website.

  17. I am just wondering what does president's signature means? Is president signing it by himself? I have one another question too, do I have to take language test when I apply for citizenship if I am married to Peruvian?

    Thanks for answers.

  18. Approval I suppose. It's probably a machine that signs it, just like in the US. No need for tests if you're married to a Peruvian.

  19. I was told today that if I am not married to a citizen, the process can take up to 6 years. I was pretty mad, because I have lived here since I was 11, my whole family lives here, and i went to school here, so I feel that I deserve Peruvian citizenship. Does anyone have any experience with being naturalized without being married?

  20. I've never ever heard it taking 6 years. Doesn't even take that long for the US or Europe. You'll have to take the tests though if you're not married to a citizen. Start now and you'll be finished before you know it. I'd be shocked if it took more than a year.

  21. I just read this article
    about an ex-Cuban who obtained Peruvian citizenship by naturalization in the beginning 2008. He applied at the end of 2005. So it was about 2 and a half years.

  22. That's extremely rare. It only took me about 2 months. It might be because he was from Cuba.

  23. That sounds alot better, I hope mine only takes 2 months, but i do think it takes longer for people not married to a citizens. I have never been able to find an exact answer as to how long it takes if not married to a citizen. Maybe I should just speak to another person in the migrations office and see what they say, since 2 already told me it may take 2 years or more for those not married to a citizen. I noticed the migrations web sight says it cannot take over a year. I would really like to hear from anyone who has actually become a citizen without being married to a citizen if anyone like that is on here, so I could get a first-hand account.

  24. I'm sure it takes longer if you're not married to a local. That's usually how things go though. Never heard of it taking 2 years.

    Just start now though. Why look and see how long it takes? Every case is different. Have you tried asking on

  25. I just asked on there a few days ago, I am still waiting for an answer on there. I might try to ask at the office in Lima (I live in Cusco)maybe they will say something different. I wanted to start the process several months ago, but the people at immigrations just kept talking about how long they think it takes, and they never let me do it. I guess I should be more agressive about it and start anyway, or just ask in Lima.

  26. You've already lost a couple months. Just start now. It's not going to take 2 years.

  27. Superb blog page an outstanding read. will certainly seek out more blogs and forums like this.

  28. great post..thanks for sharing..very informative

  29. Peru is a beautiful country ,specially the people , the culture and so rich when it comes to history , lets not forget about the food ., but my question is what are the benefits for being a peruvian ???

  30. You can vote, live there, buy property, start a business. Same benefits you have for any country.

  31. I am under age an an american citizen, and I have one parent that's Peruvian.. how long do you think that it would take me to get a dual citizenship?

  32. Depends on which consulate you're dealing with and if you have all the documentation. Contact your nearest consulate.

  33. I am a born U.S. citizen and my parents are both from Peru (both now have US citizenship for 20 years). I hope to invest in some properties with my cousin in Peru but I was wondering if being a Peruvian citizen or dual citizenship would be more of an advantage in this case, meaning easier to start a business down this path of investing. Should this even be something to consider?

  34. It would make it easier to open a business. If you can get it, do so.

  35. HELLO,i am NIGERIAN citizen of which i m planning to get marrried to a peruvian beautiful lady next month June 2012.Please,(1) how long is it going to take to get the residency and DNI after being married? (2)WITH MY RESIDENCY IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET THE TARJETA DE EXTRANJERIA?

  36. To get residency it only takes a couple months and you'll get a CE. In order to get your DNI you need citizenship. You can apply after 2 years. It takes about 6 months.

  37. Hello, I am an American with no connections to Peru but am looking to come to Peru and stay to eventually become a permanent resident. I have a family of 5 and plan on all of us coming. What would be my first step?

  38. You need to get a visa. You could try to get a job and get a work visa that way. Or you could get a business / investment visa by investing 25K usd, having a business plan and giving jobs to 5 Peruvians.

  39. Hello!! Excellent website I wondered across!! Great work!! I am A US citizen married to a Peruvian and we have twins that were born in Peru, both holding dual US and Peruvian citizenship. I also adopted my wife's two older daughters! Is there any category for me to obtain Peruvian citizenship other than because of marriage with the residency requirements? We currently live in the US, but i would like to get Peruvian in case we decide to move to Peru where we have a home. Thanks for the excellent site! JoeG

  40. Not that I know of. Possibly if you invest a LOT of money. Sometimes people can get citizenship that way, but I don't believe it's the case with Peru. Check with your local embassy.

  41. Thanks!! Not a lot of money going around these days. But we are thinking of exporting from Peru to US. :) Just thought Peruvian citizenship might come in handy some day. JoeG

  42. Hey Sharon I am a US citizen looking to leave North America and never look back. My only experience outside the country was a trip to Iraq in March of 2003. A friend told me about Ecuador but I was reading up on Peru and liked some things I've read. Which country would be better in your opinion? Also, I recieve disability now of $2,000 a month. Would that be enough income alone and will Peru tax that money?

  43. I've never lived in Ecuador, but have friends who lived there for about the same time as I lived in Peru. From what I've heard from Peruvians and foreigners, Ecuador is about 20 years ahead of Peru.

    As for getting a retirement visa in Peru, you only need $1000 a month, so you could do that. I don't know if it would be taxed, but it should be enough to live on, and live pretty well. Try, they have a good forum and can give you the latest info about retirement visas and taxes.

  44. I'm US military, married to a dual national Peruvian/US, stationed in the UK. Our son just received his dual nationality (passports) and was born in England. I have only visited Peru a couple times, but my in laws have lived there 30+ years. How do I become a dual national if my wife and I were married in the US four years ago?

  45. Very few countries allow citizenship through marriage if you don't live there. France and Italy are the two that I know of. In order to get citizenship, you'd have to get Peruvian residency. In order to keep Peruvian residency you'd have to live there 6 months out of the year. After 2 years you could get citizenship. It takes an average of 1-3 months to get residency (after filing the paperwork) and 3-6 months to get citizenship. So you'd need to live in Peru for about 3 years first.

  46. My father remarried after my parents divorced I have dual citizenship Colombian and American and so does my father. My father marries a Peruvian national and my question is if my father divorces again can he get Peruvian citizenship if he is not married to the Peruvian national? My father and his second wife were married in New York City and are currently living there. I searched blogs and they said that he can still get Peruvian citizenship even if they divorce. I read the Peruvian Constitution and there is no specificity on my father's case. Can anyone help me ?

  47. In order for your father to get dual citizenship he'd have to first get Peruvian residency and live there for two years. Then he could start the residency process, which often takes about 6 months. Total time would be about 3 years since it can take up to 6 months to get residency. IF he gets divorced after he has citizenship he will keep Peruvian citizenship. No problem. Citizenship isn't dependent on marriage. PEB (Residency due to marriage) would be affected if they got divorced, but they will not take away his citizenship just because he gets divorced. Hope that helps!

  48. after you get citizenship, must you stay in country? And are there taxes on pension for citizens? thx for your wonderful help.

  49. What about taxes if you have citizenship as opposed to immigration visa? I am working on obtaining rentista visa. After I receive my CE, I may choose to work on immigration visa or citizenship or just continue living in Peru on rentista visa? I am U.S. citizen, not married to anyone, and on social security pension (enough to cover the $1000 requirement.

    thx in advance for your help.

  50. No, you can leave once you get citizenship. I don't know about taxes on pension, you'd have to ask. If you have a rentista visa, you can keep living there, no problem.

  51. Hi Sharon, thank you so very much for providing this fabulous service!!! How very kind of you. I have read the information provided and the thread. I still am having a difficult time putting it all together for my situation. Have been able to piece some of it along the way. I have spent time in Peru on a tourist visa. I am a U.S. citizen. My desire is to go to Peru permanently. I will teach English as a second language to get situated. I also have plans to volunteer time in the Q'Esros communities. I have relationships with these lovely people already. I will teach English in Cusco, but know that getting a Work Visa will be difficult to get as there are few situations where an employer will provide the necessary information. So, long story not so short... :-) can you please assist me with the process I will need to do to get an immigration or citizen Visa, or something so I can stay long term, most likely to live permanently in Peru. I do have enough money to live indefinitely in Peru. I am 47 years old. I am a bit confused about the $25k investment option. I can do this but what does it mean exactly. Thank you so much for your time and assistance!!

  52. Hey Wendy! Glad to help. There is no citizen visa, there's just citizenship. In order to get an immigrant visa you have to first have a resident visa.

    Some people do borderhop for a long time. You might want to look into missionary visas. Or investing 25K usd. You have to start a business, hire 5 Peruvians, have a business plan among others. Have you asked on ? also check out

    If the place where you volunteer could get you a work visa then after two years you could either get a permanent (immigrant) visa or citizenship.

  53. Thank you for the excellent information. Have a great day!!

  54. Hi Sharon, thanks so much for all of the information. I am currently trying to get Peruvian citizenship through naturalization--NOT due to marriage. I realize that not many people choose to do this, so there is not much information on how the process works. For that reason I have written an article of my experiences up to this point. Feel free to use it or adapt the information as you see fit to be able to help others:

  55. Thanks so much Billy. I'd love to know why you decided to get citizenship.

  56. Two major reasons for getting citizenship. First, while I plan on living in Peru long term, there will be moments when I am gone from the country for more than 6 months of the year--the amount of time required to maintain my legal residency. When I come back I would have to start over with my residency application, not to mention the way it complicates things in terms of property and bank accounts.

    Also, due to my religious visa I am not allowed to have employment in the country. While this is not a big issue in the short term, having my citizenship would open up the option to get a job here in Peru without too many problems.

  57. Sounds great! Keep me updated. Have you already been in Peru for two years?

  58. My father was married in NYC to a Peruvian national he never visited Peru my question is can he get Peruvian citizenship if he divorces? any idea? he never visited Peru

  59. Nope. He'd have to go to Peru, get residency. Have residency for 2 years, then apply for citizenship. It'll take about 3 years.

  60. Hi Sharon, can somrone with a Pensionado visa get Peruvian citizenship?

  61. I believe so, but I'm not completely sure. Ask immigration.

    1. Would they count the years of residence if a person's residency expired but they immediately returned to the country and became a resident again?

    2. I don't think they would, but you could ask. Don't count on it though.

  62. I have two questions, hopefully someone here can help me, my kids were born in the US, i'm born and raised in Peru and have dual citizenship, if my kids are still under 18 can I get dual citizenship for them from here before our trip to Peru? (which will be in a year or so) and second question, does my husband have to give up his us citizenship if he wants to become a peruvian citizen as well? how can we go around about him being able to stay at least a year without getting in trouble? Thanks

    1. 1. Yes, contact your nearest embassy or consulate for the paperwork.
      2. No, the US has allowed dual citizenship for decades. They don't ENCOURAGE it, but they don't say you can't get it. Two rules to follow: ALWAYS enter and exit the US on an American passport. File your taxes. In order for him to get citizenship, first he need PEB (married to a Peruvian) status for two years. Here's what you have to do for PEB status. It takes a couple of months to get this visa and then the carnet. Wait two years. Start the citizenship process. That takes 3-6 months in itself.
      3. Peru is pretty lax. People get up to 183 days upon entry. After that you can either border hop or just stay and pay $1 a day fine when you leave, which is often cheaper than border hopping. I've known people who overstay their visa by years and then bargain with the immigration officer for a lower fee.

      Best of luck. Hope this helps!

  63. you have helped me out tremendously thank you so much, i will start on this soon so we are all good to go once the big day for us to travel comes!! so excited I haven't visit Peru for over 15yrs and I miss it so so much.

  64. we have been married for almost 5yrs now so we should be ok to start the process for him to get citizenship now correct?

    1. Nope. The foreign spouse has to have Peruvian residency for 2 years first. So first you get residency (which takes about 3 months), then he waits and makes sure his residency stays valid (that means he has to be physically present in Peru for at least 6 months out of each year for 2 years), then he applies (about 6 months). Total time is about 3 years.

  65. Hello. I am in love with a Peruvian girl online. I would like to live and marry her in Peru. I need a job so that i can sustain there. I am a professional. Please give me details of visa requirements and things to do in my country. I am from India

    1. First step would be to get a job or start your own business. Have you contacted your nearest Peruvian embassy or consulate?

  66. I will be marrying a Peruvian, although he is here in the USA right now, but we plan on residing in Peru, but I have a son from someone else, and I have full legal and physical custody, could me and my son both get dual citizenship without permission from my son's father?

    1. Yes, he should be able to, but he'll have to wait until he's 18. For you, once you become a citizen, then your son could become a citizen. First you need to get a resident card, then stay in Peru for 2 years, then apply. Total time should be about 3 years start to finish.

      However, if you want him to get citizenship right away, then your fiance would have to adopt him and in that case, your son's father would have to give up his parental rights, which is different than full legal and physical custody, and may involve his name being removed from your son's birth certificate.

  67. Hi Shanon
    I hope you can help me. Both of my parents are Peruvian, but they never registered me in the Peruvian embassy. I am 32 yrs old and was born here in the U.S. I am married to an Uruguayan and have 3 children. We have come to a point in our lives that life here in the states is unsustainable. Our plan is to move to Peru. I have a college degree which i think will be helpful in finding a job in Peru. However, I dont have the Peruvian citizenship. I was told in Peru that I can no longer obtain it through my parents. I cant stay in Peru for 2 yrs to obtain the citizenship while being unemployed. I also want my husband and kids to obtain it through me. Is there a way in which I can still get my citizenship through my parents without having to live in Peru? Thank you for your time and help.

    1. Hi Cherry,
      You should be able to register after the age of 18 since there is no limit. You will need a CE first. And you have to do that in Peru. I suggest either getting hired by a company there or starting your own business. If you start your own business you will need a chunk of change, about 25K usd, plus a business plan, and be able to hire 5 Peruvians. I highly suggest getting an attorney and an accountant.

      I think that would be the best option for you.

      Have you considered Uruguay as well? It's supposed to be very easy for foreigners to get citizenship there and I've heard it's much nicer than Peru. :)

      Be sure to also check out the forums at as they have lots of good info.

    2. Thank you for the info. I am exploring my options. We plan to go to Peru in March and see if Peru is the place to move. I have a lot to consider because I have children. I got to find a good education for them and housing options. My mother has a house in Peru which I can live in but I will eventually want to move. We'll decide if it is the right place to go. However, I would still like to have the citizenship. Do you think there is a way I can obtain it without living there? If my parents would have gotten it for me before I reached 18 it would of been great. I rather have it regardless of whether I move to Peru or not.
      My other option is Uruguay like you said, but from what we have heard it is way more expensive like food and housing. Otherwise we would probably go seems safer to raise a family.
      I thank you for your time again and any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. May this year bring you the best of the best for helping so many people.
      Cherry I.

    3. I wouldn't advise sending kids to public schools in Peru, you really should go the private school route. Private schools fees vary, but the top ones can cost thousands of dollars a year, so that's something to consider.

      As far as I know, you need a CE in order to get citizenship and in order to get a CE you actually have to go there. You don't have to stay there forever, but you will have to stay 6 months out of the year in order to keep your CE.

      Best of luck

  68. well! I think If you are married, you can also add the "de" and your husband's last name, though this is optional. (You would have three last names: your father's, mother's, "de" and your husband's. and on the other hand your fiance would have to adopt him and in that case, your son's father would have to give up his parental rights, which is different than full legal and physical custody, and may involve his name being removed from your son's birth certificate.....
    Regards: EmilyJacob

    1. Yep, it's a long legal process and there's lots to think about.

  69. Thanks for the Information Sharon, I would like to ask many questions because i have a Problem in Peru , I am from Afghanistan and i got married with a Peruvian Girl in My country, the marriage happened in Afghanistan, right now i am in Peru with my wife, i came with Visa which is valid for 120 Days, I went to Lima to register our marriage but Immigration Office did not accept our documents due to there is no Peru Embassy in Afghanistan, and thy said we do not know anything about sign and stamp of Ministry Foreign offers in Afghanistan, so i came back to Chiclayo and i went to immigration Office in chiclayo, thy told me the same , But i am already Married and i have my Official marriage paper which is also translated to English, in Lima thy did not translate it in Spanish because it didn't have stamp of Peru embassy in Dubai, even we can not get marry once again in Peru, b because thy are asking me Birth Certificate with Single Certificate, these two docments should be translated in Spanish too and should have Sign and stamp of Peru Embassy in Dubai otherwise Ministry of foreign offers in Lima will not accept my Documents and Peru Embassy in Dubai will not be agree to Stamp my Documents because thy do not have Embassy in Afghanistan, But i would like to live in Peru with my wife, this is my right i am already married and i can not live my wife here alone and go back to my country ! my country is not a safe place for living, please give me some information and guide me what can i do ! is there any other way?

    1. Hey Mahyar,

      Peru will accept two different types of authentications.
      1. Apostillisations,
      2. Documents that are stamped by the Peruvian consulate/embassy that has authority over your area.

      Without official stamps they don't have to accept it. Same with translators. They only accept documents from official translators. And it has to be translated into Spanish, not English.

      Since you're married in Afghanistan, you're not able to get a document stating that you are single. You're married. I'm not sure which embassy has jurisdiction over Afghanistan. Here are all the embassies and consulates in the Middle East,

      Here's their email,

      Does Saudi Arabia have jurisdiction? Have your wife go and find out which embassy or consulate has jurisdiction over Afghanistan. It might be Pakistan, or China.

  70. Hi, I am 34 yrs old and the daughter of a Peruvian mother who failed to register me in the peruvian embassy in japan. I hold US citizenship and would like to get peruvian citizenship, as I have been going to peru 2-3 times per year since I was 6mths old. I have tried several times to start the process, the first time when I was about 18, but they said I could not becuase I missed the age cut off -- i was too old? However, recently I heard that I could get citizenship through my mother if I was under 36 and single. What do I need to do? I have heard that I need to go to Japan and register myself and get my birth certificate stamped by the peruvian embassy there? What else will I need to do? thanks so much!

    1. Where exactly are you now? If I were you, I'd contact the nearest consulate or embassy and ask about the requirements. My guess would be you'd either have to do it in Japan or in Peru. If you go to Peru, then you should just follow the steps in section 3. You'd need to get a CE first.

  71. Hi, I currently work and reside in Houston. I go to Peru during vacations, like summer, spring break, and Christmas (teacher :)). How would I get a CE if I do not actually reside in Peru? Do you think I could do this on one my breaks when I go down there? How long does it take and would I have to wait 2 years to apply for citizenship? From what I read I have to go to the country of birth to get my birth certificate stamped by the Peruvian embassy, would this be correct? Sorry about all the questions, it just seems like you are pretty knowledgeable and when I have asked in Peru I usually get the run around.

    1. Hey Melisa,

      I'll be glad to help in anyway. Here's the thing about the CE, it's for residents, meaning that if you're working and residing in Houston, you probably can't get it. If you're just going there for vacation it'll be hard to get as well as hard to keep. You have to be physically IN Peru to get it. .

      In order to get it you have to prove that you need to, or are entitled to, live there. Some examples are, if your parents are Peruvian or are foreigners living there, if you're married to a Peruvian or a foreigner with residency, if you have a job there, if you're retiring there, or if you're studying there. It takes about 3 months to get the CE.

      Once you get it, in order to keep it you have to live in Peru for 6 months out of the year. If you want to renew it, you'll have to do that once a year as well as pay the foreigner's tax once a year.

      So once you get it (3 months) and keep it valid (2 years) you can apply for citizenship (6 months). Though they have been cracking down and it's been taking longer and longer, it took me 3 months from applying to getting my Peruvian passport and my DNI. I applied in December 2008 and it was ready in Feb 2009. Things have changed, like I said. For example, if you're married to a Peruvian, they will visit your house and make sure your marriage is legit.

      About the birth cert, that's usually only needed for getting married, not for getting the CE. Getting it stamped by the Peruvian embassy may not be required if the country you were born in is part of the Hague Agreement. Peru joined a bit ago, meaning that they accept apostillisations. For example, if you were born in the US, you'd need to get your birth cert apostillised by the state you were born in. If you were born in Canada, then you'd have to take it to the Peruvian embassy since Canada isn't in the Hague Agreement.

      Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

  72. Hi I have a quick question.
    I'm American and came to peru 5 years ago. my parents are Peruvian I got my dual citizenship I currently live in Peru but I'm planing on moving back to the u.s I came on my American passport but was told to get the Peruvian passport and go to the USA with that one is that true ?

    1. Hey Carolina,
      Nope! Do not do that! The US requires you to enter and leave the US on an American passport. All you have to do is:
      1. Get a Peruvian passport.
      2. Leave Peru on that passport.
      3. Enter the US on your American one.

  73. Hi Sharon. I am an American born man married to a Peruvian born woman. We have a 3 year old son. How do we go about getting him dual citizenship?

    1. Go to the nearest consulate or embassy with his birth certificate. They will get him a Peruvian birth certificate and then you can get a passport.

  74. Hi my name is Francis. I am now a British National but i was born in South African. I came to Peru two years ago to meet my father for the first time. There is no record of him on my birth certificate but i want to start the process for my Peruvian passport. How do i go about this? Do i need to go to the South African embassy or the British? I have been researching on how to go about it but my case is a little different and i am not sure where to begin. Any helpful tips¿

  75. Hi Francis,

    The first step would to have your father recognise you as his daughter. You'd have to contact the nearest Peruvian embassy or consulate. Your father is going to have to sign papers and/or do a DNA test to prove that you're his daughter.

  76. Hello Sharon, thank you for this wonderful service you are providing. I am a us born adult child of a peruvian citizen (my mother). I would like to obtain peruvian citizenship and had questions about obtaining a CE. you mentioned that there are missionary visas. Can you expand on that, and how you apply for that? Does digemin do an investigation on a friend or family member that 'hires' you that have registered their company ruc?

    1. Here's the information about missionary visas. There are two types: Catholic and not Catholic.

      Scroll down to see the info.

      Digemin shouldn't investigate people who have hired you, but you never know. Make sure you're doing everything above the table.

  77. Hello Sharon, thank you for perfect service and valued time, my question is , how can i prove that this woman is my my mother , is it enough to sign some paper saying that i am her son, there is no marriage certificate for her marriage with my father, also i don`t have a Peruvian birth certificate,

    1. You'll need a birth certificate. Then you can get a Peruvian birth certificate. Ask the consulate or the embassy what you need. Documents vary according to the consulate you go through.

  78. Hi Sharon,

    My name is Jeff and I'm a US citizen from DC with a Peruvian (born/DNI carrying/Lima resident) mother who owns a home. For months now we've been planning for my purchase of her home with all the prepared paperwork, however I've encounter a few problems with Immigration here in Lima.

    In the US, the Peruvian Consulate in DC explained to me that if my mother all her paperwork and deed in order that I would only need a Visa to Sign Legal Documents from Immigration in Lima upon arriving - easy enough. The problem we face is in opening a bank checking account in my name to deposit funds to ensure a paper trail of the legitimate purchase. The bank manager had previously told my mom that there wouldn't be any issues - long story short, the manager was wrong and the regional manager (her boss) blocked my application. Apparently I now require a Carne de Extrangeria in additon to the Legal ability to Sign Visa with only 4 days left in Peru before my return flight back to DC.

    My question is which CE application option/F-000 form would be best given my situation. I get the feeling I'll eventually need the CE/legal residency to complete the purchase (despite what our lawyer/notario says). Would it be worth starting the CE process now, request an Exemption to temporarily fly back to the US in 4 days, return back to Peru in a week or so, finalize the CE registration process, and then use my mother's Peruvian status to waive the required 2 year Residency Period in order to immediately obtain Peruvian Naturalized status and have a Peruvian passport issued all within a one or two month period. I wouldn't mind returning to Peru and stay/live for two months for the "residency/CE" process to be completed, but ideally I'd like to remain in the US and return to Peru as a Peruvian citizen without any constraints.

    I realize this sounds quite ambitious given the short time frame, but I gathered all this knowledge based off this web page (thank you!), and honestly - after sooo much disappointment - I'm at my wits end in desperate need of help.

    I very much appreciate your time and any advice you could offer.

    Best regards from Breña, Lima,

    Jeff D.

    1. Supposedly you CAN open an account with just a passport. Have you tried going to other banks?

      You could try to start the CE process. The latest information I have is from 2008 and at that time you had to get hired by a Peruvian company. While doing the CE you are not supposed to leave the country. You would have to ask immigration for permission to leave the country.

      It is better for you to get Peruvian citizenship than keep the CE since it would expire if you weren't in Peru for 6 months out of the year.

      I'm sorry I can't be of much help. Have you tried asking on Expatriates in Peru on Facebook?

  79. Hey guys, I'm 17 years old, I was born in USA and I moved to Peru for soccer reasons. My situation is quite complicated because I will be staying about a year or more here in Peru. I know about to extension stay of 183 days, but I m going to stay more. I'm getting my Peruvian citizenship papers done because my dad is Peruvian and my question is, will that help me not pay the over stay extension fee when I decide to fly back to USA? Or will I still have to pay the fee of the extra time I stayed here? Please help

    1. You haven't mentioned when you applied for Peruvian citizenship. If you're going to have it before you need to extend, then you're fine. If not, then yes, you will have to extend. Being in Peru illegally will cause problems, especially if you're trying to get citizenship. You can either border hop or pay the dollar a day fine. Once you get citizenship, then you're good to go.


All comments are moderated and may take a couple days to appear online. Please only click the submit button once. You can also email me at if you'd like.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy