Monday, December 1, 2008

Immigrant Visas for Peru

Updated 28 July 2017

***Be sure you ask at immigrations about your visa as rules and fees seem to change often.You now need an appointment in order to go to immigration. Make the "derecho de tramite" payment in order to schedule your appointment right away.***

Ok, so Peru may not be on the list of the top 20 countries to immigrate to, but it's pretty easy to get an immigrant visa! After three full years with your Carne de Extranjeria you can do one of three things.
  1. Keep your current visa.
  2. Apply for "inmigrante"' status (which is a permanent visa with no expiry date. You still have to pay the yearly foreigner's tax though. I'm not sure if you can get an inmigrante visa if you have a retirement visa.). Some people have asked if there's a minimum time that you have to be married (if you're switching from a marriage to a inmigrante visa). There's not. You just have to have held the CE for a full three years.
  3. Become a Peruvian citizen.  

You can find the forms and more information at Migraciones, they also have general foreigner information.
  • Form F004. Check "Cambio de calidad migratoria a inmigrante"
  • Pay the fee for F004 and to change your calidad migratoria. If you're married to a Peruvian, you're excepted from paying the latter.
  • Make sure your Tasa Anual and Prorroga have been paid
  • Copy of your Passport
  • Copy of your CE
  • Letter to immigrations.
  • Not have left Peru for more than 3 consecutive months in one year. Or no more than 6 non-consecutive months in a year.
  • Present your first and most recent paystubs. They should show that you earn at least 10 UIT of the GDP (renta neta anual). You have to prove net worth and solvency. You might also be able to take bank documents that the bank will give you.
  • INTERPOL background check

Additional requirements for marriage / family visas
If you have a marriage / family visa (This visa is for underage children of Peruvians, parents of Peruvian children, parents of special ed Peruvian children, or people who are married to a Peruvian / immigrant.) you have a couple more requirements to fulfill.
  • Original marriage certificate (if married). If you got married outside of Peru, it has to be apostillised and translated. The marriage certificate has to show three years of marriage. (There might be exceptions to this rule. For example, if you had residency for at least three years but you had two different residency statuses, then it might be ok to have been married for less than three years.)
  • Copy spouse's DNI (if married)
  • Original birth cert of Peruvian children (if your visa is through your children). If they were born outside of Peru, it has to be apostillised and translated.
  • Copy of children's / parent's DNI / passport. (if your visa is through your children / parents).
  • Make copies of everything so that they can stamp your copies. Leave the originals at the Mesa de Partes at Immigrations come back when they tell you to. It supposedly takes one month to proceed. You must make sure that your passport and CE are still valid during the processing time. Then they will give you a new CE that says "inmigrante" .



  1. Hi Sharon... do you happen to know how strict this 10 UIT requirement is? I have been living in Peru for over 5 years with a CE and a Working Resident Status. I really want to get the Immigrante status but my problem is the money thing. My salary is S/. 2300 per month (before tax deductions). Based on that it seems I don't meet the requirement. An UIT is S/. 3,600 so we're talking about S/. 36,000 per year. Adding the 14 months pay we get in a year I only make S/. 32,200 (S/. 2,300 x 14). This means your salary has to be at least S/. 2,600 from what I understand. Am I on the right track? Any help at all clarifying this will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

  2. I'm guessing like everything in Peru, it's flexible. You might want to try to get inmigrante status and if that doesn't work, then try for citizenship.

    Seriously, you're so close, it'd be worth a try.

  3. Thank you so much for your response. I will go to DIGEMIN and ask personally and see how much wiggle room there is. If all fails I might just go the citizenship way. (Which seems cheaper anyway!). Do both statuses allow to have the same type of work contract a Peruvian citizen would? That is what I care about the most. A WRA status requires additional clauses on the work contract and those are very restricting. Few companies are willing to go to those lengths to employ a foreigner.

  4. Yes, both inmigrante and naturalisation (Peruvian citizenship) allow you to be treated like Peruvians. Which can incidentally work against you at some companies.

  5. is it easy to get kicked out of peru after your visa expired

  6. No, pretty easy to stay illegally. Or just border hop.

  7. Hi Sharon,
    My husband had overstayed with his TOURIST VISA before we got married with kid just of recent and we are planning to normalize his document and immigration officer told me that he has to go out of peru and come back of which we decided that he should travel to Chile or Ecuador in order i can invite him on family visa type
    but main fear is that he might not be able to enter Peru again because he didnt pay his overstayed penalty.
    We are contemplating he should apply for POLITICAL ASYLUM and how like to know how long will it cost to have it done and effect of Asylum on his Status in the nearest future or What can i do because i dont want this Immigration stuffs to break my happyhome and again my Little baby need his attention of his Father.
    Thanks for your usual respond.

    1. Hi,

      Wow, three times! I guess I should say that all comments are moderated first :)

      I don't think you have to worry about it. Political asylum? Is he really from a country where his life is in danger due to politics? You're Peruvian, I take it? Then he could get a visa through you. Much faster than political asylum.

      How in the world did he get out of Peru to begin with without paying his fine? They make you pay it at the border. Unless he didn't overstay it by a long time and they just waived it.

      I honestly think that what's going to happen is that when he tries to enter Peru, he'll simply have to pay the fine there. Overstaying tourist visas happens all the time and I know people who have overstayed their tourist visa by years. They just pay the fine.

      However, if he's from a "bad" or not popular country, then I don't know. Everyone I know has been from a first world country. Though I've never heard of people being denied entry to Peru.

      You might also want to ask on the forum on , though I really think that you have nothing to worry about.

      Best of luck!

  8. Hi i would like to settle in Peru i hav visited Peru 1 mnth ago i love a girl there plz help me fix this .im indian

    1. You can get one of the immigrant visas listed above or if you get married you can get a marriage visa. Good luck.

  9. Hello I am planning to get marry in Peru in September with a relationship I have for the last 2 years,I Am from Argentina but live in The USA with a green card for 20 years, I have a rental property with no mortgage then I rent for $4,000 a month how difficult is to get a permanent Visa in Peru after I marry ?

  10. Marriage visas are good for one year at a time. After two years on a marriage visa you can apply for permanent residency.


All comments are moderated and may take a couple days to appear online. Please only click the submit button once. You can also email me at if you'd like.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy