Thursday, November 12, 2015

Registering Your Peruvian Divorce Back Home

Image source
Updated 21 December 2016

Once you finish getting divorced in Peru, you're going to want to register your divorce back home. More likely than not you're going to have to do the same thing you did when you registered your Peruvian marriage back home.

If you get divorced in Peru it will not automatically show up on your records back home. What you do depends on where you're from.

When your divorce is finalised you will some official documents. I got a a "registro personal" and an "acta de concilacion extrajudicial". The first translates to a personal registration which basically says you're divorced. The second breaks down the division of property, custody, alimony, and child support.

You may think that with this you will be considered divorced and you might be, depending on your nationality. Some countries will accept an apostillised copy of these documents and you can register your Peruvian divorce back home.

Others won't. If you're Peruvian, these documents are NOT enough to show that you are divorced. You need to complete one more step in order to register your divorce in Peru. You need to take these documents to RENIEC and have them register your divorce. You can then get a copy of your divorce certificate. If you got married in Peru, then they will print out your marriage certificate and in the margins there will be a note stating that you got divorced. If you didn't get married in Peru, they will print out a document stating the details of your marriage and also include the divorce in the margins. This document is what you need if your country doesn't accept the other divorce documents you got from the courts. 

If you're from the US, they usually don't ask for official translations or apostillisations. Personally, I would still get my Peruvian documents notarised, apostillised, and translated. If your country is in the Hague Agreement, like the US and the UK, there's less paperwork for you to do. If your country isn't in the Hague Agreement, like Canada, then there are some extra steps you will have to do. Here's a guide on how to use Peruvian documents abroad. Double check and ask the embassy of that country if there are any other steps you need to take.



Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and may take a couple days to appear online. Please only click the submit button once. You can also email me at if you'd like.

FTC Disclosure and Privacy Policy